Mesa Medical Malpractice Attorneys
Holding Medical & Health Care Providers Accountable
People schedule doctors’ appointments and go to the hospital to get better, not worse. Though we have good reason to expect that our medical professionals and health care providers will give us the best possible care they can provide, sometimes they fail to live up to these expectations. All medical professionals are human and are prone to making human errors, some of which can worsen a patient’s existing conditions or cause devastating injuries. Unfortunately, medical mistakes are relatively common and result in the deaths of more than 250,000 people every year. If you or a loved one was injured and you believe your injuries were caused by your doctor, nurse, or some other professional, you may be able to seek financial compensation by filing a claim. Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC has the resources needed to strengthen your claim. From collecting your records to seeking medical experts to speak to your condition, our Mesa medical malpractice attorneys know how to secure the results you want.
Call (480) 999-9181, or contact us online today to begin the recovery process through meeting with a dedicated team member. Our loyalty is to the injured in our Arizona community.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice, also known as medical negligence, occurs when patient treatment falls below the accepted standard of care. This standard of care is established by the appropriate medical community – for example, if someone is undergoing brain surgery, the standard of care would be set by brain surgeons and other medical professionals practicing in that area.
Individuals who have been harmed by a medical professional can file an injury claim, though having a successful claim can be complicated. Victims must prove that they had a relationship with their medical provider, the provider owed them a duty of care and failed, and that it was this failure that caused their damages. Undesired results don’t automatically mean that medical malpractice occurred. In order to determine whether you have a legitimate claim, it’s important to call our personal injury attorneys so we can assess your situation in a free consultation.
Common Types of Malpractice & Injuries
There are a variety of errors that doctors and other health care professionals can make, all of which can worsen a patient’s illness or injuries or cause injuries where there was none.
Common types of medical errors that result in injuries or deaths include:
- Delayed diagnosis: When a correct diagnosis is delayed, a patient’s condition can become worse. This is one of the most common types of diagnosis errors and can occur when a doctor fails to order further tests to diagnose conditions, or when the doctor fails to refer the patient to a specialist.
- Misdiagnosis: This occurs when a doctor fails to diagnose a patient’s condition or diagnoses them with the wrong conditions. When a patient is diagnosed with the wrong condition, they may receive treatment they don’t need that can directly harm them.
- Failure to treat: When a doctor diagnoses their patients correctly but fails to adequately treat them, they can be held accountable for negligence. A failure to treat can happen when a medical professional is caring for many people at once or releases a patient before they’re ready.
- Medication errors: These mistakes occur when a patient is prescribed the wrong drug or wrong dosages of a drug, or when hospital staff misreads a doctor’s orders and administers the wrong medication to a patient. This can be especially dangerous if the patient is prescribed a medication, they’re deathly allergic to, or if they’re given a dosage that can cause adverse side effects.
- Birth injuries: Many medical errors are made during and after the delivery process and can impact both the mother and baby. Infants can be left with permanent disabilities that will change the way they’ll live the rest of their lives.
- Surgical errors: One of the most serious types of medical malpractice, surgical errors can include anesthesia errors, using non-sterile instruments, performing the wrong surgery, and more. Surgeons are expected to act with care, and one mistake can result in the death of the patient.
Some of the most common injuries or illnesses that occur because of medical malpractice include heart attacks and cancer, both of which are typically misdiagnosed by doctors. Common injuries sustained in birth include nerve damage, spinal cord injuries, and cerebral palsy.
How a Lawyer Can Help
Individuals who wish to have a chance of recovering damages must be vigilant about collecting evidence to prove that their medical professional was negligent. Our lawyers are well-versed in medical malpractice and can handle your case so you don’t have to worry about the legal details. We’re not afraid to hold medical professionals and hospitals responsible.
Damages we can help you recover include:
- Past and future medical expenses, including costs of surgeries, medications, and hospital stays
- Rehabilitation costs
- Past and future income loss
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Scarring or disfigurement
In some rare cases where the medical professional acted with an “evil hand,” victims can secure punitive awards. Our attorneys are able to investigate your accident to determine whether you’re able to recover these damages and get to work immediately so you can reclaim your life as soon as possible.
Call (480) 999-9181 if you’ve been injured by your medical professional. Our Mesa medical malpractice attorneys can get started on your care and pursue your entitled compensation.
"Jess was amazing. He instantly put my mind at ease on the handling of my case. If you want great results and to deal with great people, Jess Gulbrandsen is who you need to see after a car accident."Todd, Client
"I got into a real bad roll-over, and they did everything to their ability to get me what was right. I just want to give a huge thanks to Chris and Ria for all the wonderful help and time that they put into my case, as it was a long one."Matt, Client
"My experience with Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience has been nothing short of amazing... I recommend Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience to all my friends and family."Rusty, Client
A Record of ResultsWe have recovered millions of dollars for injured clients throughout Arizona and are proud members of the prestigious Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Experience on Your SideFounded in 1961, we are among the oldest firms in the East Valley, proudly serving injured clients in our communities for 60 years.
Personalized Legal SolutionsWe believe in treating each client and case with the individualized care and attention that they deserve.
When you hire our firm, you will work with one attorney from start to finish, ensuring that your representation is intimately familiar with the details of your case.
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (480) 999-9181.