Mesa Wrongful Death Attorneys
Helping Families Heal Since 1961
The lawyers at Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC are among the most dependable wrongful death attorneys within the Mesa, Arizona area. The type of legal representation you have will determine how much of a cash settlement you receive. When you have a professional lawyer and legal team on your side, you will see a high level of support and care that will help you in this arduous process. The team at Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC recognizes that there is a serious emotional burden when it comes to filing a wrongful death suit. We are committed to giving you support during the trial so you can begin your healing process. Our Mesa wrongful death lawyers use all the details to build a strong case. Our tasks include collecting evidence, finding witnesses who will testify, determining which parties are liable, and building up your case in court.
Contact our team online or by phone at (480) 999-9181 to schedule your free consultation. Our team is family-owned and able to offer your own family compassion during a painful time.
Elements of a Wrongful Death Claim
There are four parts to each wrongful death case:
- Prove that there was negligence by the defending party
- Prove that there was a duty owed by the defendant to the deceased victim
- Prove that the defendant’s negligence led to the cause of the victim’s death
- Prove that there was damage that can be quantified, including hospital bills and funeral costs, as well as medical expenses and loss of income
Common Wrongful Death Claims
The loved ones of a person who died or was killed due to injuries that could have been prevented are able to file wrongful death claims. They may seek compensation for pain and suffering, loss of wages as well as loss of future earnings, and expenses that are related to the injury, including hospital expenses. Anyone from surviving spouses to half-siblings can file a wrongful death claim on behalf of their deceased loved one.
The following are five of the most common types of wrongful death claims:
- Motor vehicle accidents, including cars, trucks, and motorcycles: Speeding accounts for countless severe injuries and fatalities on the road, and accidents involving large trucks are more likely to cause deaths due to their weight and size. Motorcyclists are also more likely than drivers and passengers of vehicles to be killed in accidents because of their lack of outer protection.
- Recreational accidents, including those that occur while boating or swimming: These accidents can happen at amusement parks, while on vacation, and more. Drowning is one of the most common causes of death in these types of accidents.
- Medication issues, including overdose and poisoning.
- Illnesses and accidents that occur on the job, due to the negligence of the employer: This includes negligence of the workplace and not following safety procedures and standards.
- Premises liability accidents, such as slip and fall and being struck against or by an object on the premises.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
Just as each state has its own statutes of limitations for personal injury cases, they also are allowed to determine who can file a wrongful death claim. Under Arizona law, surviving spouses, children, parents or guardians, or personal representatives can file a claim.
If there are no surviving family members, an appointed personal representative can bring an action on behalf of their estate. If the deceased is a child, their parents can file a wrongful death claim.
Damages That Are Available in a Wrongful Death Case
There are several types of damages available to those who file a wrongful death claim.
There are two categories of damages:
- The first category deals with the recovery of damages of costs occurring from the moment that the negligent act first happened. It includes anything that occurs as a result, up until the individual’s death. In the instance of a car accident, it would start with the crash up until the person becomes deceased. It does not matter the length of time between the event and the person’s death, as long as the expenses are related to it. These damages include physical and mental pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost wages of the deceased individual, and costs for the funeral and burial.
- The second category of damages deals with any losses that have been experienced by the deceased’s next-of-kin after the person dies. This is meant as compensation for financial losses to the survivors. Generally, the law indicates that this is intended as a means of replacing what the deceased individual would have earned if it were not for his or her untimely death, such as lost wages even upon retirement. There are certain states that allow for a “loss of consortium” claim. This is about a spouse or other immediate family member becoming deprived of the companionship and love of the deceased person. This is especially the case with regards to an adult parent leaving behind children who are minors and would be deprived of the guidance afforded by that parent. Skousen, Gulbrandsen, & Patience, PLC are solid wrongful death attorneys with a competent and caring legal team who will go above and beyond to assist you in your case. When disaster strikes and you lose a loved one due to negligence on public property or at the workplace, or any other type of wrongful death accident, be sure to reach out to us right away. We can work with you to alleviate your stress and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve on behalf of your deceased spouse or family member.
Why Should You Hire a Wrongful Death Attorney?
It can be incredibly stressful to present a wrongful death case at a trial. There is a great deal of documentation to gather and prepare. This is especially difficult when you are distraught over the death of a loved one.
For this reason, you would benefit from hiring the services of a wrongful death lawyer. It is important that you have someone on your side who will be reliable, including a team that will be supportive and compassionate to your situation. It really makes all the difference when you are going through an emotional time.
Since a wrongful death case can be complicated, it is crucial that you have a professional legal team who will be able to draft and present your case with precision. Your attorney should work hard to ensure that you receive the highest amount of compensation for your pain and suffering, as well as for lost wages, medical bills, and more. You do not want to take your chances and just hire anyone for this purpose. Trust in a group of wrongful death attorneys and legal support staff with a proven record for success in such cases. Let Skousen, Gulbrandsen, & Patience, PLC assist you in with your case and you will see how they can make the process easier.
Our wrongful death attorneys in Mesa have served countless families throughout Arizona and can pursue justice when you call us at (480) 999-9181. We offer our legal services in English and Spanish for your convenience.
Bus Rollover Crash $50 Million
Over $50 million recovered in a case involving multiple attorneys and victims in a bus rollover crash.
Truck Accident $10 Million
We recovered over $10 million for a family involved in a trucking accident case.
Motor Vehicle Accident $5.3 Million
We recovered $5.3 million for a client involved in a motor vehicle accident.
Biking Accident $5 Million
We recovered $5 million for a client involved in a biking accident.
Tire Defect $1.5 Million
We recovered $1.5 million for a client against a tire manufacturer involving a tire defect.
Motorcycle Accident $1.5 Million
We recovered $1.5 million for a client involved in a motorcycle accident.
Burn Injury $1.5 Million
We recovered $1.5 million for a burn victim.
Car Accident $1.25 Million
We recovered $1.25 million in a car accident involving a rollover.
Motor Vehicle Accident $1 Million
We recovered $1 million for a client involved in a motor vehicle accident.
Sand Rail Accident $450,000
We recovered $450,000 for a client involved in a sand rail accident.
A Record of Results
We have recovered millions of dollars for injured clients throughout Arizona and are proud members of the prestigious Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Experience on Your Side
Founded in 1961, we are among the oldest firms in the East Valley, proudly serving injured clients in our communities for 60 years.
Personalized Legal Solutions
We believe in treating each client and case with the individualized care and attention that they deserve.
When you hire our firm, you will work with one attorney from start to finish, ensuring that your representation is intimately familiar with the details of your case.
Our law offices are open to all who are in need. This is our community too and we want to see victims justified. If you live in the Mesa area and need a team of professionals on your side, call us and we will fight for justice by fighting for you.