The Mesa car accident attorneys at Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC have been proudly serving our community for 60 years. Our experienced trial attorneys have successfully settled and litigated many claims to a successful conclusion for our clients, and we are passionate about what we do.
We care about every case as if it were our own, and work hard to get the best result for all our clients. If you have been injured in an auto accident, you deserve a fair settlement. You should never have to pay for someone else's negligence, so rely on a Mesa auto accident attorney who has your best interests at heart.
You also have rights, and our job as your attorney is to protect those rights. Too often, victims of auto accidents are victimized again when they give in to the pressure to make an early settlement agreement that benefits the insurance company.
We don't care about their bottom line, because they are looking out for themselves. You need someone in your corner who cares about what happens to you after an auto accident. Our lawyers in Mesa, AZ are here to help prevent insurance companies from taking advantage of you.
Experienced and Compassionate Mesa Attorneys
Accidents are always unexpected, and you may feel overwhelmed. You may feel like you need to make a decision quickly, especially if there are large expenses from your accident. Your Mesa car accident lawyer can deal with the insurance company for you, and it will cost you nothing to get our advice on your case.
If you cannot make it to our office, we can meet you at the hospital or your home or whatever is convenient for you. We understand that you are going through a difficult time and want to help. If we decide to take your case, you won't have to pay us until the case is over.
How Do Car Accidents Happen?
In 2016, there were 126,987 crashes reported in Arizona, with 856 of them being fatal and over 38,000 involving injuries. A total of 952 people were killed, including 506 drivers, 222 passengers, and almost 200 pedestrians. One person was killed about every 9 hours, and 155 were injured per day. All these injuries and damages totaled up to over $10 billion in economic losses, with about half that amount being attributed to the fatalities. The cost of just fatality is estimated to be a $5.8 billion loss.
While the number of total crashes in Arizona was lower for a few years, it has shown an upward trend since 2012. Most crashes occur in urban areas, where there are greater concentrations of people; most also involved a collision with another vehicle. About 93,000 of the total crashes occurred in Maricopa County, including 453 fatalities. That means that about 3 out of every 4 reported crashes were in the same county.
There are a variety of factors that can contribute to a car accident, though human error accounts for many of them, meaning that most auto accidents are preventable.
Some common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted driving: Anything that keeps a driver from focusing completely on the road and their surroundings can be considered distracted driving, from texting to talking on the phone to eating and drinking. Being distracted can prevent a driver from noticing and responding to a hazard, like a car that has braked suddenly.
- Drunk driving: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol heavily impairs a person’s cognitive functions and their ability to make sound judgments. Drunk drivers are more likely to exhibit risky behaviors like speeding through red lights and changing lanes quickly, putting other vehicles in harm’s way.
- Speeding: Speeding contributes to many car accidents in the United States and can cause more severe injuries, due to the amount of force that a speeding vehicle can apply. Speeding can cause a driver to lose control of their vehicle, especially on wet roads or around turns, and it also reduces the amount of time a driver has to respond to other vehicles.
- Reckless driving: Any driving that is in violation of safety measures and traffic laws is considered reckless. Some examples of reckless driving include speeding, merging or changing lanes without signaling or checking blind spots, failing to stop at a stop sign, failing to yield to another vehicle or pedestrian’s right-of-way, and more.
What Are Common Vehicle Accident Injuries?
Car accidents are one of the most common reasons for injuries, affecting millions of Americans every year. Modern vehicles keep adding more and better safety features, in an effort to protect anyone traveling in an automobile. There is still a wide range of common kinds of injuries.
- Head injuries: You can strike your head on the steering wheel, window, or dashboard, leading to serious head injuries like concussions. Traumatic brain injuries can be long-lasting, and victims may have permanently impaired cognitive abilities. Head injuries can also cause hearing loss and vision problems.
- Back and neck injuries: One of the best-known injuries is whiplash, which occurs when a sudden movement of the head and neck causes ligament damage. Some people recover quickly from whiplash, while others need treatment for a long period of time. Car accident victims may also receive back injuries, like herniated disks or spinal cord damage, which can lead to numbness or even paralysis.
- Chest injuries: Many car riders experience blunt force trauma to the chest area when they hit the steering wheel or dashboard at a high speed. This can cause damage to ribs or lungs and sometimes heart attacks.
- Injuries to the extremities: Injuries to arms, hands, legs, and feet are also common. These can range from bruising to fractures to severed limbs.
- Emotional and psychological injuries: Being in a violent crash is terrifying, and many people find themselves emotionally traumatized. Some may have difficulty driving again, and many seek counseling. Any treatment you need to deal with the emotional impact, including medications, can be claimed as part of your damages.
Can Whiplash Be Permanent?
While whiplash is often associated with temporary discomfort, in some cases it can lead to chronic issues and potentially permanent damage. Severity of the injury, the individual's overall health, and timeliness of treatment can all impact the duration and permanence of symptoms. It is crucial to seek medical attention immediately after an accident to minimize the potential long-term effects of whiplash.
Additionally, following a proper treatment plan and engaging in rehabilitative therapy can also help prevent chronic pain and stiffness. It is important to listen to the guidance of medical professionals and prioritize self-care to give your body the best chance at recovering fully from whiplash.
In some cases, whiplash may require ongoing management and maintenance, but with proper care, the majority of individuals are able to fully recover from this type of injury. You've suffered whiplash in a car accident call our dedicated team of car accident attorneys today!
An experienced attorney can help ensure your rights are protected, gather and present evidence to support your claim, and evaluate any settlement offers to ensure they adequately cover your medical expenses and other damages. Call today and put years of experience in your corner.
What Can Be Recovered After a Car Accident in Mesa?
When you are the victim of a car crash, you can ask for any of the damages you suffered as a result of the crash.
Damages aren't limited to physical injuries, and can include any losses you suffered including:
- All medical bills, including medications, surgeries, doctor visits, permanent disfigurement or scars, and physical therapy for however long that takes
- Repairs to your vehicle, or replacement if necessary, and including any rental car fees you incurred in the meantime
- Lost income because of your injuries, including any time off from work in the future or any losses you will suffer because of a new disability
- Pain and suffering, including both physical pain and emotional distress, as a direct result of the accident and subsequent rehabilitation
- Loss of consortium, which is the loss of affection or companionship from a spouse, and which is claimed by the uninjured spouse
- Punitive damages, which go beyond the range of actual considered damages, but may help to make a plaintiff whole again and may be awarded in an attempt to deter bad behavior
If you have been injured in an auto accident, don't wait. Contact Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC today for a free consultation on your case.
Why Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident?
Once you are involved in an auto accident, the bills start piling up quickly. Because the accident involved a vehicle, your health insurance won't pay, and your auto insurance may be waiting for the person responsible for the accident to pay. Meanwhile, the hospital where you were treated has filed a lien to protect its interests and you may be missing work.
That puts you in a tight spot because you need to accept medical care until you have recovered. If you stop treatment early, you may cause serious setbacks for yourself and never fully recover. The focus needs to be on you while you do all the necessary things you can to get better.
Your Mesa car accident lawyer can start working on your case right away. There may be important evidence that needs to be preserved, and we can also collect witness statements and order the police report. At Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC, we know how important it is to preserve the evidence in your case.
We can also help you stay on top of deadlines because there are time limits on when you can file a claim. You won't have to stress about the insurance companies anymore because we can deal with them for you. As attorneys, we can explore the liability issues and make sure your settlement offer is fair. You don’t have to worry about paying upfront because we take personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, so if you don't collect, we don't either.
- 10 Ways How to Prevent a Car Accident
- What Is the Average Settlement Payment for Whiplash Injury?
- How Long Do I Have to Report a Car Accident in Arizona?
- Are Car Accident Reports Public Record?
- Who’s at Fault After a Left or Right Turn Car Accident
- The Effects of a Serious Car Accident
- Who’s at Fault After a Chain Reaction Car Accident?
"Jess was amazing. He instantly put my mind at ease on the handling of my case. If you want great results and to deal with great people, Jess Gulbrandsen is who you need to see after a car accident."Todd, Client
"I got into a real bad roll-over, and they did everything to their ability to get me what was right. I just want to give a huge thanks to Chris and Ria for all the wonderful help and time that they put into my case, as it was a long one."Matt, Client
"My experience with Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience has been nothing short of amazing... I recommend Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience to all my friends and family."Rusty, Client
A Record of ResultsWe have recovered millions of dollars for injured clients throughout Arizona and are proud members of the prestigious Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Experience on Your SideFounded in 1961, we are among the oldest firms in the East Valley, proudly serving injured clients in our communities for 60 years.
Personalized Legal SolutionsWe believe in treating each client and case with the individualized care and attention that they deserve.
When you hire our firm, you will work with one attorney from start to finish, ensuring that your representation is intimately familiar with the details of your case.