In today's fast-paced world, ridesharing has become integral to many people's daily lives. With the convenience of rideshare services like Uber and Lyft, it's easier than ever to get from point A to point B. However, the increased popularity of these services has also led to a rise in rideshare accidents. When you or a loved one find yourselves in a rideshare accident in Mesa, you need legal representation to help you navigate the complexities of the law and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Call Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC today at (480) 999-9181 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our rideshare accident attorney in Mesa!
Common Causes of Rideshare Accidents
Rideshare accidents can result from various factors, much like any other motor vehicle accident. Some common causes of rideshare accidents in Mesa include:
- Distracted Driving: Drivers can become distracted by their GPS devices, smartphones, or conversations with passengers, leading to accidents.
- Reckless Driving: Some rideshare drivers may engage in aggressive or reckless driving behaviors, such as speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, or failing to yield the right of way.
- Inadequate Maintenance: Rideshare companies are responsible for maintaining their vehicles in safe working conditions. Negligent maintenance can lead to accidents due to mechanical failures.
- Fatigue: Rideshare drivers often work long hours to meet high passenger demands, leading to driver fatigue and a greater likelihood of accidents.
- Inexperienced Drivers: Rideshare drivers may not have the same training and experience as professional taxi drivers, making them more prone to accidents.
- Third-Party Negligence: Accidents can also result from the actions of other drivers on the road, pedestrians, or cyclists.
Understanding the Potential Recoverable Damages in Rideshare Accident Claims
If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of being involved in a rideshare accident in Mesa, it's essential to be aware of the various damages that you may have the right to recover. Rideshare accident claims can encompass a range of damages, including:
- Medical Expenses: This category covers the cost of medical treatment, hospitalization, surgical procedures, rehabilitation, and any ongoing medical care related to the injuries sustained in the accident.
- Property Damage: Payment for repairing or replacing your vehicle and any personal belongings damaged in the accident.
- Lost Wages: If the injuries prevent you from working, you can seek compensation for your lost income due to the accident.
- Pain and Suffering: Non-economic damages can encompass the physical and emotional pain and suffering you have experienced as a direct result of the accident.
- Wrongful Death: In the unfortunate event that a loved one has lost their life in a rideshare accident, you may be entitled to seek compensation for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, and other associated damages.
It's essential to understand that rideshare accident claims can be intricate and multifaceted, with the compensation you receive depending on your case's specific circumstances. Collaborating with a proficient Mesa rideshare accident lawyer ensures you receive the full extent of the damages you are rightfully entitled to.
Who is Liable in a Rideshare Accident?
After accidents with taxis and buses, determining liability is relatively clear-cut, as at-fault drivers are company employees, and the company often takes responsibility. Uber and Lyft drivers, on the other hand, are independent contractors, not employees. This means that companies can position themselves more like middlemen and evade the legal responsibilities of having employees.
All of this means that if the rideshare driver who caused your accident behaved negligently, such as drunk or distracted at the time of the accident, they most likely will be personally responsible and have to access their insurance.
Passengers have some protections if they're involved in an accident. Uber and Lyft have similar insurance policies that kick in when their drivers are on the job.
These policies include:
- No insurance when the driver isn't logged into the app. This means if you're a passenger and the driver isn't using the app, there is no insurance from the company to cover you.
- $50,000/$100,000 bodily injury and $25,000 property damage when the driver is logged into the app but hasn't accepted a ride request.
- $1 million when the driver has logged in and has accepted a ride request
Because each situation is unique, applying a past rideshare accident claim to your own is impossible. Only an experienced law firm can assess your damages and determine whether a driver or ridesharing company can be held financially accountable.
Navigating the Statute of Limitations for Rideshare Accident Claims in Arizona
Arizona has a legal framework that outlines a statute of limitations, essentially setting a deadline for filing a rideshare accident claim. Understanding and adhering to this timeline is of paramount importance. In Arizona:
- Personal Injury Claims: This category, which includes claims related to rideshare accidents, typically has a statute of limitations of two years from the accident date.
- Wrongful Death Claims: In cases involving wrongful death as a result of a rideshare accident, the statute of limitations is also two years, calculated from the date of the victim's unfortunate passing.
It's crucial to grasp the significance of staying within the confines of this timeframe. Failing to file your claim within the time frame can result in you forfeiting your right to compensation for your injuries and losses. To ensure you have ample time to prepare and file your claim effectively, we strongly recommend contacting an experienced Mesa rideshare accident lawyer as promptly as possible following the accident.
Contact Our Mesa Rideshare Accident Attorney Today
Rideshare accidents can have a profound and often devastating impact on the lives of those who find themselves entangled in these unfortunate events. The physical, emotional, and financial consequences can be overwhelming. In these challenging times, the guidance and support of adept legal professionals become indispensable. At Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC, our distinguished team of Mesa rideshare accident lawyers has a well-established record of success in representing clients in these intricate cases.
Contact Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC today to schedule a consultation with our rideshare accident lawyer in Mesa!
"Jess was amazing. He instantly put my mind at ease on the handling of my case. If you want great results and to deal with great people, Jess Gulbrandsen is who you need to see after a car accident."Todd, Client
"I got into a real bad roll-over, and they did everything to their ability to get me what was right. I just want to give a huge thanks to Chris and Ria for all the wonderful help and time that they put into my case, as it was a long one."Matt, Client
"My experience with Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience has been nothing short of amazing... I recommend Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience to all my friends and family."Rusty, Client
A Record of ResultsWe have recovered millions of dollars for injured clients throughout Arizona and are proud members of the prestigious Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Experience on Your SideFounded in 1961, we are among the oldest firms in the East Valley, proudly serving injured clients in our communities for 60 years.
Personalized Legal SolutionsWe believe in treating each client and case with the individualized care and attention that they deserve.
When you hire our firm, you will work with one attorney from start to finish, ensuring that your representation is intimately familiar with the details of your case.