Our team has 60 years of experience serving elderly members of the Mesa, Arizona community and their families. We are experienced, compassionate Mesa nursing home abuse lawyers who genuinely care about nursing home abuse victims.
When abuse occurs, or when you suspect abuse or neglect, you may feel confused, helpless, or overwhelmed. You trusted a caregiver to ensure that your loved one had all their needs met. You may want to help your loved one, but you are unsure of what to do. You can make the call to our team to set up a free consultation. We can let you know what your next steps should be and how we can help. You don’t have to go through this experience alone — and neither does your loved one.
Why Should You Hire an Attorney for Nursing Home or Elder Abuse?
A knowledgeable nursing home attorney can be a great resource if you suspect that nursing home or elder abuse is occurring.
Our Mesa nursing home abuse lawyers will:
- Investigate your case. Gathering information is a critical task in nursing home abuse cases. In many cases, the best sources of information are the abusers themselves, and they are likely going to be unwilling to share information or may be untruthful. Having an attorney on your side can help the truth come to light. We can also help you collect records, take photographs, review staff qualifications, investigate similar claims, and talk to medical experts about your loved one’s injuries.
- Determine whether your loved one can receive compensation for their experience. In nursing home abuse cases, the ultimate goal is to ensure that your loved one is safe and well cared for. We also focus on getting your loved one money damages that will compensate him or her for their injuries and other losses. In most cases, you need to show that the nursing home staff was negligent or intentionally harmed your loved one. Our team will use the information that we have gathered to help you prove that the nursing home staff should have to compensate your loved one for their losses.
- Negotiate with the insurance company. In most situations, nursing homes will have their own attorneys to defend against your claims. Those could be in-house lawyers, or they might be employed by an insurance company. These attorneys see claims similar to yours on a regular basis, and they sometimes use that experience and knowledge against you. Our attorneys even the playing field by talking to them on your behalf. You can be assured that the nursing home won’t take advantage of you or your loved one when our Mesa nursing home abuse lawyers are on your side.
Types of Nursing Home and Elder Abuse
The National Center on Elder Abuse recognizes seven different types of elder abuse. Each category has different signs that you should watch for. Remember, your loved one may be counting on you to act if you suspect that elder abuse or nursing home neglect is occurring.
- Physical abuse includes any type of physical force that is used on an elderly person. This force causes ongoing impairment, physical pain, or bodily harm.
- Sexual abuse includes any type of non-consensual sexual conduct or act with an elderly person. This includes contact with someone that is not physically or mentally able to provide consent.
- Emotional or psychological abuse involves any situation where someone else inflicts mental or emotional distress through verbal or nonverbal means. This type of abuse often accompanies other forms of mistreatment.
- Neglect includes circumstances where a loved one is not provided with the care or attention that they need to live comfortably. It can involve failing to provide things like physical, mental, or even financial support.
- Abandonment occurs when someone completely deserts a senior person when they are supposed to be caring for them. This type of abuse is less common in the nursing home setting, but it can happen.
- Financial abuse includes situations where the elderly person’s assets are being used without authorization. Directly stealing, forging checks, and tricking a senior into giving money can also be forms of financial abuse.
- Self-neglect occurs when an elderly person does not care for themselves. In a nursing home setting, caregivers have an obligation to ensure that seniors are cared for, even if that means stepping in when your loved one is not caring for themselves.
What You Must Prove to Win a Nursing Home Abuse Case in Mesa, AZ
Elder abuse is one of the most underreported forms of abuse. It can be difficult to detect, which also means that proving that it is happening for a legal case can also be tricky. Thankfully, the Mesa nursing home abuse lawyers at Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC can help you establish your case, whether that is to an insurance company or to a judge or jury.
You must prove that:
- The nursing home owed a duty of care to your loved one. This point is often easily met because you or your loved one contracted with the nursing home to provide care. Because of this contract, they virtually automatically owe your loved one a duty of care.
- The nursing home breached its duty of care. This is the “bad act” or “inaction” that took place. If abuse of any kind occurs, then the nursing home has breached its duty of care. The main point here is that you must prove that the abuse took place.
- Your loved one suffered harm as a result of the nursing home’s action or inaction. The way the nursing home staff acted must have caused your loved one’s damages. This requirement can be tricky in some situations, but our attorneys can help you gather the information and medical opinions you need to show that the nursing home’s actions caused your loved one’s condition or injuries.
Get the Legal Help You Need
If you or a loved one has suffered through nursing home or elder abuse, you need to contact our Mesa nursing home abuse lawyers. We offer a free consultation service so you can discuss your situation with an experienced member of our team. We can help you determine what your next steps should be, not only to ensure that your loved one is safe, but also get you the compensation you deserve after a loved one has suffered injuries or damages.
"Jess was amazing. He instantly put my mind at ease on the handling of my case. If you want great results and to deal with great people, Jess Gulbrandsen is who you need to see after a car accident."Todd, Client
"I got into a real bad roll-over, and they did everything to their ability to get me what was right. I just want to give a huge thanks to Chris and Ria for all the wonderful help and time that they put into my case, as it was a long one."Matt, Client
"My experience with Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience has been nothing short of amazing... I recommend Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience to all my friends and family."Rusty, Client
A Record of ResultsWe have recovered millions of dollars for injured clients throughout Arizona and are proud members of the prestigious Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Experience on Your SideFounded in 1961, we are among the oldest firms in the East Valley, proudly serving injured clients in our communities for 60 years.
Personalized Legal SolutionsWe believe in treating each client and case with the individualized care and attention that they deserve.
When you hire our firm, you will work with one attorney from start to finish, ensuring that your representation is intimately familiar with the details of your case.