When you've been injured in an accident, dealing with insurance companies can be a daunting experience. Unfortunately, many insurance companies employ various tactics to minimize the value of your personal injury claim. Understanding these tactics can help you navigate the claims process more effectively and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. In this blog, we'll shed light on some of the most common tactics insurance companies use and provide you with actionable tips to counter them.
Insurance companies often employ delay tactics to frustrate claimants and push them into accepting lower settlements. They may take their time to respond to your claim, request unnecessary documentation, or delay the investigation process. To counter this tactic:
- Keep detailed records of all communication with the insurance company.
- Send follow-up emails or letters to ensure timely responses.
- Consult with a personal injury attorney who can expedite the process on your behalf.
Disputing the Severity of Injuries
Insurance companies may downplay the severity of your injuries to minimize the settlement amount. They may argue that your injuries were pre-existing or unrelated to the accident. To protect your claim:
- Seek immediate medical attention after an accident, even if you don't feel injured.
- Follow your doctor's advice and attend all necessary medical appointments.
- Maintain thorough medical records and document any changes in your condition.
Blaming the Victim
Insurance companies may try to shift blame onto the victim to reduce their liability. They may argue that you were partially at fault for the accident or engaged in negligent behavior. To counter this tactic:
- Collect evidence at the accident scene, such as photographs, witness statements, or surveillance footage.
- Do not admit fault or discuss the accident with insurance adjusters without consulting an attorney.
- Consult with a personal injury attorney who can build a strong case on your behalf.
Lowball Settlement Offers
Insurance companies often make initial settlement offers that are far below the actual value of your claim. They hope that you'll accept the offer out of frustration or lack of knowledge. To ensure a fair settlement:
- Consult with a personal injury attorney who can accurately assess the value of your claim.
- Negotiate with the insurance company based on the evidence and expert opinions.
- Do not accept any settlement offer without fully understanding your rights and options.
Surveillance and Social Media Monitoring
Insurance companies may conduct surveillance or monitor your social media activities to find evidence that contradicts your injury claims. To protect your claim:
- Be cautious about what you post on social media and adjust privacy settings to limit public access.
- Inform your attorney about any surveillance activities you suspect or become aware of.
- Stay consistent in your statements and actions to avoid giving the insurance company any opportunity to undermine your claim.
Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially when you're also trying to recover from your injuries. At Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC, we understand the tactics insurance companies use and are here to help. Our experienced personal injury attorneys in Mesa, AZ, are dedicated to protecting your rights and ensuring you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation and let us fight for your rights.