Personal injury lawyers from Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience Law, PLC have settled countless Phoenix-area cases from car accident injury to medical malpractice.
Our legal team takes pride in our high ethical standards and legal ability to help influence court cases and settlements in favor of our clients. There is no case too big or too small for our team.
Our personal injury lawyers have settled a variety of cases, including:
- Car accident injuries
- Motorcycle accident injuries
- ATV accident injuries
- Light rail accident injuries
- DUI/DWI accident injuries
- Pedestrian accident injuries
- Medical malpractice
- School or day care negligence
- Dog or animal bite injuries
- Dangerous products
- Wrongful death
Our lawyers are sensitive to the way your injury has impacted your life. It is our mission to convey that same empathy to the court so you can receive fair financial compensation. To us, every injury case is personal. Let us fight for you and get the justice you deserve.
Motor Vehicle Accident Injury
It’s important to choose a lawyer who specializes in personal injury when your motor vehicle accident case goes to trial. Cars, motorcycles, ATVs, and other motorized vehicles all fall under their own laws and regulations, which will impact the outcome of your case. Our lawyers do research on your behalf and work with your insurance company to obtain the best results possible.
- Car Accident Injuries: If you have been injured in a car accident in the Phoenix area, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Our lawyers will examine the evidence and work with your insurance company to negotiate lower fault percentages on your behalf. This results in higher settlements and better outcomes overall.
- Motorcycle Accident Injuries: Our motorcycle accident lawyers will advise you regarding your rights and liability in an accident. We navigate all the tricky aspects of a court case, including negotiations with your insurance company. Compensation is critical to these cases, not only to cover medical bills, but also to repair or replace your motorcycle. Our lawyers will do everything in our power to get the settlement you need so you can recover and get back on the road again quickly.
- ATV Accident Injuries: ATV accidents can be a result of many things, including negligence, recklessness, faulty machinery, and terrain that was improperly cared for. Our ATV accident lawyers will examine your case, determine fault, and help obtain the highest compensation for your claim.
- Light rail accident injuries: While the Phoenix light rail currently runs 42 kilometers through Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa, plans are already in place to extend this public transport throughout the Valley. As the light rail grows, so will accidents and injury claims. Our lawyers will handle your case with precision and speed to ensure results before the 180-day statute of limitations against the city runs out.
- DUI/DWI Accident Injuries: Alcohol-related accidents account for nearly one-third of all traffic-related deaths in the United States. Many of these accidents are caused by repeat offenders. We have specialized training and knowledge necessary to pursue legal action not just against the intoxicated party, but also against any third parties who may be held liable, such as bars, clubs, restaurants, or hotels that knowingly overserved the intoxicated individual. Our relentless tactics and attention to detail have resulted in high settlements when our clients need them most.
- Pedestrian accident injuries: Pedestrians are especially susceptible to serious injury when pitted against cars, motorcycles and other motor vehicles on the road. Our personal injury lawyers have helped pedestrians suffering from broken bones, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, and even amputation as a result of their accidents. Our lawyers help the court understand the full extent of your injuries and the impact this accident has had on your life, resulting in just compensation from liable parties.
Our lawyers are uniquely qualified to take on cases against even the biggest hospitals and corporations. In order to file a claim, Arizona state law requires proof that a healthcare provider failed to act as others would have, directly resulting in your injuries (ARS-12-563). To do this, our lawyers work with medical experts to get the facts you need for favorable results in court.
Any licensed health care provider may be held liable for medical malpractice, including physicians, dentists, nurses, technicians, hospitals, blood banks, and employees of any health care provider acting within the scope of their employment (ARS-12-561). We will help determine who is at fault for your personal injury claim and proceed with a solid legal case to compensate you for pain and suffering. Our attention to detail has resulted in high settlements for countless Phoenix residents.
School or Daycare Negligence
When it comes to proving causation in school or daycare negligence cases, our lawyers are relentless. Children are defenseless victims in negligence cases and injuries sustained can cause a lifetime of suffering. We advise parents to keep all medical bills and reports obtained as a result of your child’s injuries. These reports will become evidence in your case.
Liable parties could be determined a number of ways, based on the nature of the injury. A case of inadequate supervision could result in a claim against the school, while an injury caused by faulty playground equipment would likely result in a case against the equipment manufacturer or retailer. Our lawyers will help determine whether there were other foreseeable conditions that should have been corrected to prevent accidents. We also advise parents about the best course of action to receive favorable results in trial.
Dog Bite Injury
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 4.5 million dog bites are reported on an annual basis. Fortunately, Arizona is a strict liability state when it comes to dog bites. This means that the dog’s owner is legally responsible for injuries regardless of whether they themselves were aware of an animal’s aggressive tendencies.
Our dog bite injury lawyers handle every aspect of your case from beginning to end, including identifying responsible parties who contributed to the dog bite injury. This list often includes (but is not limited to) animal keepers, parents of minors, landlords, and property owners. We will research every avenue possible to ensure proper compensation for your pain and suffering.
Our dog bite lawyers have heard every trick in the book and know how to defend against suggestions of contributory negligence that would otherwise render an animal bite case ineffective. We are on your side at all times and work tirelessly to build a solid case so you can achieve the best results possible in a court of law.
Product liability law refers to a party being held responsible for a dangerous item that was placed into the hands of a consumer. Claims are typically presented under negligence, strict liability or breach of warranty. Our lawyers can help determine which claim is appropriate for your case in order to achieve the best results possible in a court of law. Whether you have suffered as a result of defects, recalls or toxic chemicals in a product, our legal team is devoted to getting fair results for all clients.
Wrongful Death Claims
When the worst happens, it is important to know that you have someone on your side. In order to file a wrongful death suit, certain elements must be present. These include someone’s death caused by another party’s negligence (with or without intent to cause harm). Surviving family members must be able to prove that they are suffering financially as a result of the death.
Wrongful death claims can be made under a variety of circumstances, including medical malpractice, motor vehicle accidents, plane crashes, exposure to hazardous conditions, and even criminal behavior. Many wrongful death suits are filed after a criminal trial has already taken place. Wrongful death cases require a lower burden of proof, which can yield better results for our clients.
Ways to be Compensated for Personal Injury Claims
Compensation from personal injury cases is decided on a case-by-case basis. Damages are typically calculated using a complex formula, including medical expenses, lost wages and emotional suffering. Among the items taken into consideration when calculating compensation for a personal injury claim are:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Deprivation of a loved one
- Property damage
Punitive damages may also be awarded to punish the perpetrator for wrongdoing. Punitive damages are typically awarded when reckless or intentional action is proved in a court of law. This goes beyond mere negligence, which is standard in most personal injury cases.
Restrictions on Personal Injury Cases
In order to move forward with a personal injury case in the state of Arizona, you must first file an insurance claim. This claim must stay open for the duration of your case. If the case is settled with your insurance company, no lawsuit can be filed.
Similarly, lawsuits must be filed before the statute of limitations runs out. In the state of Arizona, the statute of limitations for most personal injury claims is two years. Cases against a city, state or county must be filed within 180 days of the incident (ARS-12-821.01). After this time has passed, it is no longer possible to seek damages in a court of law. For this reason, our team works quickly and efficiently. Time is critical when it comes to seeking compensation for your claim.
Our personal injury lawyers handle claims throughout the Phoenix Valley, including Mesa, Scottsdale, and every city in between. If you are ready to seek justice for your pain and suffering, contact Skousen, Gulbrandsen & Patience, PLC for a free consultation.